|Steven Agabegi MD|
Dr. Agabegi grew up in Philadelphia and graduated from Temple University. He then attended medical school at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia. He completed his surgical internship and residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. He then completed a spine surgery fellowship at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan.
Dr. Agabegi treats all conditions of the spine, from the most straightforward problems to the most complex spinal deformities. He has special expertise in treating scoliosis and complex spinal deformities in adults and children. In addition to scoliosis, these conditions include kyphosis, flatback deformity and severe spondylolisthesis.
Dr. Agabegi is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. His professional affiliations include the Scoliosis Research Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and North American Spine Society.
Pre-Medical Education (September 1993 – May 1997)
- Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Bachelor of Arts, Journalism
Medical School (September 1998 – May 2002)
- Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Internship, General Surgery (July 2002 – June 2003)
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery (July 2003 – June 2007)
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
Fellowship, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery (August 2007 – July 2008)
- William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2010
Scope of Practice
Dr. Agabegi’s practice focuses on cervical and lumbar spine surgery and the surgical management of scoliosis and complex spinal deformities.
- Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center
- West Chester Hospital
- Clinton Memorial Hospital
- Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center
- HealthCare Heros Award Finalist – Cincinnati Business Courier (2014)
- American Orthopaedic Association – Resident Leadership Forum (2006)
- Senior Resident Thesis Award (2006)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta – National Pre-Medical Honor Society (1998)
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Temple University (1997)
- Scholar’s List, Temple University (1995-96)
- Golden Key National Honor Society (1994-1997)
- Dean’s List, Temple University (1994-1997)
McPhail GL, Ehsan Z, Howells SA, Boesch RP, Fenchel MC, Szczesniak R, Jain V, Agabegi S, Sturm P, Wall E, Redding GJ. Obstructive Lung Disease in Children with Idiopathic Scoliosis. J. Pediatrics Feb 2012.
Agabegi SS, McClung HL. Open lumbar laminectomy: Indications, surgical techniques, and outcomes. Seminars in Spine Surgery 25(4): 246-50, 2013.
McPhail GL, Howells SA, Boesch RP, Wood RE, Ednick M, Chini BA, Jain V, Agabegi SS, Sturm P, Wall E, Crawford A, Redding G. Obstructive lung disease is common in children with syndromic and congenital scoliosis: a preliminary study. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 33(8): 781-785, 2013.
Gordon D, Hosu L, Agabegi SS, Sturm P, Sadhasivam S. Brain herniation due to syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) after posterior spinal fusion. Paediatric Anaesthesia 23(9): 875-6, 2013.
Agabegi SS, Kazemi N, Mehlman CT, Sturm PF. Natural History of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in Skeletally Mature Patients. In Print. Journal of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Agabegi SS, Majid K, Fischgrund JS, Vaccaro AR, Patel T. Can Preoperative Radiographic Parameters be used to Predict Fusion in Noninstrumented Posterolateral Fusion for Degenerative Spondylolisthesis? Spine 36(26):E1709-14, 2011.
Agabegi SS, Iorio TE, Wilson JD, Fischgrund JS. Juvenile xanthogranuloma in an adult lumbar spine: a case report. Spine 36(1): E69-73, 2011
Agabegi SS, Asghar F, Herkowitz HN. Spinal Orthoses. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 18(11): 657-67, 2010
Agabegi SS, Fischgrund JS.: Contemporary Management of Isthmic Spondylolisthesis: Pediatric and Adult. Spine Journal 10(6): 530-543, 2010
Francke E, Demetropoulos C, Agabegi SS, Truumees E, Herkowitz HN. Distractive Force Relative to Initial Graft Compression in an In Vivo Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Model. Spine Journal 8(5): 37S-38S, 2008.
Agabegi SS, Stern P: Bias in Research. American Journal of Orthopaedics. 2008 May;37(5):242-8.
Agabegi SS, Fischgrund JS.: Instrumentation of the Lumbar Spine for Degenerative Disorders. Arthritis and Arthroplasty: the Spine, Eds: Ludwig S, Poelstra K, Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. 2010
Agabegi SS, Montgomery DM, Herkowitz HN.: Degenerative Spondylolisthesis Without Lysis, in The Textbook of Spinal Surgery, 3rd edition. Eds: Bridwell K. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
Agabegi SS, Kazemi N, Crawford AH. Pediatric Kyphosis: Scheuermann Disease and Congenital Kyphosis, in Rothman-Simeone The Spine, 6th edition. Eds: Herkowitz HN. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. 2011
Agabegi SS, Connelly C, Fischgrund JS. Lumbar Interbody Cages, in Spine Surgery: Techniques, Complication Avoidance, and Management, 3rd Edition. Eds: Benzel EC. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA.
Agabegi SS, Noel J, Bilkhu S, Sengupta D, Herkowitz HN, Demetropoulos CK. Biomechanical evaluation of an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Combined with Anterior or Posterior Supplemental Fixation. Submitted to Spine.
Agabegi SS, Biddinger A, Demetropoulos CK, Truumees E, Fischgrund JS, Herkowitz HN. A Sheep Model of Lumbar Disc Annular Defect Healing via Bone Morphogenetic Proteins. Submitted to Spine Journal.
Agabegi SS, Antekeier DP, Crawford AH, Crone K. Postlaminectomy Kyphosis in an Achondroplastic Adolescent Treated for Spinal Stenosis. Orthopedics 31(2): 168, 2008.
Agabegi SS, Freiberg RA, Plunkett JM, Stern PJ. Thumb Abduction Strength Measurement in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. J Hand Surg (Am). 2007 Jul-Aug;32(6):859-66.
Stern PJ, Agabegi SS, DiDonna ML, Kiefhaber TR. Proximal Row Carpectomy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005 Sept.; 87 Suppl 1(Pt 2):166-74.
Francke E, Demetropoulos CK, Agabegi SS, Truumees E, Herkowitz HN.Distractive Force Relative to Initial Graft Compression in an In Vivo Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Model. North American Spine Society (NASS), 23rd Annual Meeting, October 14-18, 2008, Toronto CA
Agabegi SS, Noel J, Bilkhu S, Sengupta D, Herkowitz HN, Demetropoulos CK. “Load-sharing Capability of Anterior Tension Band Plate Comapred to Posterior Fixation used to supplement Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (ALIF) – A Biomechanical Study in the Cadaveric Spine." Orthopaedic Research Society, 55th Annual Meeting, February 22-25, 2009, Las Vegas, NV
Francke E, Demetropoulos CK, Agabegi SS, Truumees E, Herkowitz HN.Distractive Force Relative to Initial Graft Compression in an In Vivo Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion Model. Orthopaedic Research Society, 55th Annual Meeting, February 22-25, 2009, Las Vegas, NV
Agabegi SS, Derby EA: Step-Up to Medicine. 3rd Edition Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH, March 21, 2012: Fusion & Low Back Pain: The Verdict is In.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH, November 17, 2010: Current Concepts in Management of Flatback Deformity & Sagittal Imbalance.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH, October 15, 2008: Thoracolumbar Trauma.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, April 11, 2007: Bias in Research: Uncertainty-Based Medicine.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, May 16, 2005: Lumbar Disc Disease.
- Grand Rounds; University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, December 17, 2003: Lower Cervical Spine Fractures & Dislocations.